Homemade Carpet Shampoo Combinations
Because commercial carpet shampoo is expensive, why not replace it with your own homemade carpet shampoo? We have listed below different ingredient combinations for making your own carpet cleaning creation to put in your steam machine. The best part is you probably have most of these items in your home. These are blends we have either used, or people have told us they have used, instead of the commercial brand carpet shampoos.
NOTE: Remember to always first test any alternative solution you are going to use on a spot on your carpet that is not in a noticeable place. This is to make sure it is not going to damage your carpet.
Homemade Carpet Shampoo to Put in Your Steam Machine
- White Vinegar and Water: This is a natural stain lifter. Use 1 cup of vinegar for every gallon of water. The ratio is very flexible. If your carpet is real dirty, use more vinegar. The smell will disappear when carpet is completely dry.
- White Vinegar and Baking Soda: If you have odor along with a stain, use vinegar and baking soda. The vinegar lifts out tough stains and the baking soda neutralizes the odor.First, dust your carpet lightly and evenly with baking soda. Let it stay there for approximately 30 minutes before you vacuum thoroughly to remove. Then, mix together 1 cup of white vinegar to every gallon of water. Put the vinegar and water in your machine and clean as usual.
- Ammonia: This product naturally cleans and sanitizes your carpet. Use the same amount of ammonia in your machine as you would the commercial brand shampoo.IMPORTANT: However if you have pets, we do not recommend using this. It has a strong scent and may cause your pet to become ill or if you have cats, the ammonia odor may confuse them.Whether you have pets or not, you need have good ventilation in the room whenever using ammonia. So, make sure you keep your windows open until your carpet is completely dry.
NOTE: Make sure you test a spot on your carpet for discoloration before you start.
- Hot Water: You can also use just hot water in the machine to clean you carpet. The hotter the water is the better. Have you noticed that after you steam clean your carpet using the machine with commercial shampoo, the carpet gets dirtier faster? This is because soap is left in the carpet after shampooing and it collects and holds on to any new dirt.
- Windex and Hot Water: Mix equal amounts together and put into the machine. We are told this also works well.
- Dawn Dishwashing Liquid, Ammonia, Vinegar and Water: This combination is good for cutting grease. Mix together 3 teaspoons of Dawn dishwashing liquid, 1/4 cup ammonia, 1/2 cup white vinegar and two gallons of water. Fill your carpet cleaning machine and you are ready to go.
We hope one of these homemade carpet shampoo combinations work for you.