Painting Your House Yourself
In this section you will find information about painting your house.
I just love the smell of a fresh paint. We usually paint in the spring as soon as the weather starts to warm.
If you have read our About Us page, you know we have rehabbed many houses over the years. We painted the interior of each and every one of those homes ourselves.
We have now decided that it is time to share with you how we go about painting homes so they look charming again.
Is there a room in your home that you would like to paint?
Even though you are ready to start painting your house, maybe this is your first time to paint and you are a little apprehensive about where to start? Well, here are some simple step by step instructions on how to accomplish this task. You will be finished before you know it and your room will look beautiful!
Painting Your House – The Interior Walls
We all want our home to be pleasing to the eye? Walls are the foundation and canvas of each room. When you add paint to those walls, its starts your journey of imagination.
We usually use a neutral tan color on our walls. We use white semi-gloss for the trim. Then we add splashes of color with rugs, pillows, artwork and curtains throughout.
Whatever your preference, you need to start with making sure you are taking care of your drywall first by fixing any flaws. Then paint to make it look fantastic!
Let’s start your journey of painting your house by inspecting the walls.
- Do you have a hole in your wall. Perhaps where someone opened a door so hard it slammed into the drywall? Go to Drywall Repair Made Simple. You will find step by step instructions for fixing that hole.
- If you are not familiar with drywall tools don’t worry, here are the tools we think are the most useful.
- Dave painted over the wallpaper in our dining room instead of stripping it off. We will never strip wallpaper again. You cannot even tell there is wallpaper underneath the paint!
Paint Finishes and Paint Types:
Since you are now painting your house, you probably have an idea what color you want on your walls.
- What do you know about primer? Do you need to use one? Did you know there are two kinds? Read here about using primer.
- Which type of paint are you going to use? Here are the pros and cons for latex and enamel.
- Finally, you need to decide which finish you want. Here are the different types of interior paint finishes.They range from flat/matte to high gloss.
Preparing to Paint:
- It is time to get your supplies for this adventure? Here are what you will need before you start painting.
- We are getting close to the actual painting now. Just these important steps. Clear out the room and prepare the walls by patching and taping.
- You are now ready to apply your paint and finally cleanup. Here are step by step painting instructions.
- Here is how to cover those bathroom walls that are covered with glaze.
- If your wall color is too bright, here are a few suggestions that should help. Our Paint Fix For that Bright Wall Color
Below is information on painting your deck. Check it out!
Here is Some Information on Painting Your Deck:
- Painting decks makes them sparkle and look like new. Check out what we did to make ours sparkle!
- Painting ceiling or the underside of the deck roof is quite easy. See how we did it during our deck refinishing project.”>
- Stripping and painting floor boards on our deck made it look completely different. It was old and the boards were rough. Now it is a warm cedar color and very smooth.”>